The technical component of a PPC campaign is probably how you think about the channel. It’s the tactical, day-to-day account optimisation performed by a tech to drive and improve performance. There are literally hundreds of possible tasks involved in the process, many of which change year to year as the SEM landscape evolves.
Technical Optimisation can include:
- Comprehensive keyword research
- Building out and configuring new campaigns
- Managing Budgets
- Developing and managing bid strategies. This can be a manual task or could be machine learning or data-driven based.
- Negative Keywords
- Rules & Scripts
- Configuring campaign settings – scheduling time of day/week to bid, geo-targeting, device targeting, audience targeting. Implementing bid modifiers accordingly.
- Setting up tracking codes, GTM configuration, conversion tracking etc.
- RLSA (Remarketing Lists for Search Ads)
- Running Experiments
This list can go on and on. There is no end to the possible work a tech can do for continual account optimisation. They are in effect only limited by hours in the day! Hence a focus on delivering on the stated strategic goals of the campaign and not blindly jumping into technical optimisation!